My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.shanio.com and update your bookmarks.

2.07.2008

Recently, logging on to Slate as I do every day, I saw an interesting graphic in the middle of the page where there's usually a "clever" illustration or headline. "Welcome to the Root," it read. It's an African American e-zine (do people still use the term "e-zine?" No? Ok, I'll refrain.). The first thing that caught my eye was a piece by Melissa Harris-Lacewell, Princeton's own rising star in politics and African American studies (the intersection of two of my major interests). It seems like she's everywhere these days, or at least here on campus and around town. Poking around a bit more on the site, I noticed that Skip Gates was the editor. Hmm. Further exploration revealed myriad prominent African American writers (many of whom are affiliated with the WaPo, The Root's major sponsor) from both sides of the fence. Conservatives, moderates, liberals. In fact, I'd go so far as to say The Root covers every facet of African Americanism. Except one. Afrocentrism/black nationalism are sorely lacking here. I suspect this is due to the following: it's perfectly fine to be proud of being African American, because you're still acknowledging your American-ness. But being afrocentric, being black doesn't leave room for the bit of whiteness (large or small) we share. But hey, it's a Washington Post endeavor, so I wouldn't expect any less. (Note: is it bad that just looking at Stanley Crouch makes me shudder? And this reaction is not based entirely on his appearance.) With that said, this will definitely be on my list of sites to visit on the regular. We'll see. ____ Listening to: Judy Garland, "Stormy Weather."

6 new thought(s):

Anonymous said...

do you like it? the writers are prominent, sure, but have you read anything there you haven't heard before?

also, it's so ugly it's actually distracting.

The Breaking Point said...

I'm also curious as to your thoughts about it. I've read it and didn't come across anything seminal or terribly interesting, honestly.

Rashan Jamal said...

Stanley Crouch? Its the appearance initially, then when he starts talking it gets worse.

LOL @ the e zine internal debate.

I might check it out later.

shani-o said...

@ g.d.: To be honest, no. But I'm also assuming the audience isn't your average overeducated bourgie or post-bourgie black person. This is going to be read by "liberal" whites and college students, mostly. And the site does look rather... antebellum.

@ Jam: I know right? You're so on it.

@ the breaking point: It isn't really anything new. What I like (sort of) is the consolidation of different views in one place. I did come across one piece that was interesting about black comic book artists staging a "draw-in."

@ RJ: LOL, you pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Anonymous said...

LOL @ 'postbourgie'.

(It's a movement!)

Oxymoron said...

The joint is alright, but.......they gotta get some celebrity red carpet photos if they want anybody to pay attention.