My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.shanio.com and update your bookmarks.

7.13.2008

Michelle Obama has accepted honorary membership in Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. Update: as you can imagine, I was really excited when I sent off this post (blogging via Blackberry is dangerous, y'all). But here's what actually went down. At the Public Meeting, our Centennial International President Barbara McKinzie announced that Sen. Obama received an award -- the Anna Eleanor Roosevelt Medallion of Honor. Barack wasn't able to attend, so he wrote a letter, which she read to the room. In it, he thanked the sorority for the award, and then said something to the effect of, "and Michelle is honored to have been selected as an honorary member of Alpha Kappa Alpha." And the room went wild. If you know me, or have read this blog for some time, you'll know that I adore Michelle. She's the one who brought me to Barack. And not to get all corny and vomit-inducing on ya, but she is, to me, everything a woman (and an AKA, by extension) can be.

9 new thought(s):

MrsKelley_ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MrsKelley_ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
the joy said...

Cool! I'm excited for you!

G.D. said...

um.

Yellow Rebel said...

I'm surprised she wasn't one already

Jameil said...

green. eyes.

Unknown said...

Yes soror, I went crazy when BAM read that letter...very cool

GreatWhyte said...

I was excited for you **pause**, but now after reading the statement that her spokeswoman released, I'm confused. What exactly is "non-exclusive membership" in a Greek letter organization? Leave it to the Obamas to establish yet another precedent!

shani-o said...

Joy- Me, too!

G.D.- Um, awesome?

YR- she didn't have an opportunity to in undergrad (no bglo chapters at Princeton).

Jam- *Smiles*

Miss B- I know, right??

X- I read and re-read that with my ls' and we figure it means that just because she's accepting honorary membership in AKA doesn't mean she won't work with the Deltas, SGRhos, or any of the D9. Unlike HRC, who turned down honorary membership in AKA, because she wanted to be free to join the other three sororities, Michelle understands the deal.