My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.shanio.com and update your bookmarks.

3.24.2008

Slate's Emily Yoffe (she of 'Dear Prudence,' my favorite advice column in this world) wrote a piece on the catastrophe that is the out-of-wedlock birthrate. ...And Baby Makes Two I agree with everything she said. As she noted, about 70 percent of births in the black community are out of wedlock... how on earth does this NOT correlate with the disparities in income, educations, crime, etc? While there are successful people who grew up in one-parent homes, and very screwed up people who grew up in two-parent homes, I think those both are exceptions to the rule.

5 new thought(s):

Yellow Rebel said...

Interesting article...How ever I know plenty of ppl who are exceptions, enough that in some ways its a gross rationalization (or should I say assumption), in my opinion. How do you feel about this particular article...http://news.aol.com/newsbloggers/2008/03/22/why-obama-dissed-his-grandmother/

You can actually wiki the guy who wrote this.

CNEL said...

Not having read the article I had an interesting discussion with the boss man a 27 year old Caucasian man. Boss man referred to Larry Elder's supposition that our lack of fathers is a major reason for the disintegration of family, especially black families. Being an exception to the rule, never having had, a father. I will say I see the potential benefits associated with a two parent family, noting however the paren't parenting philosophy as a major variable.

shani-o said...

YR- Like I said, I think it's safe to say that there are people who came out of either situation and were successful, but what's problematic is how easily society today dismisses the benefits of a two-parent home.

CNel- The reasons why so many blacks come from single-parent homes are myriad, and I believe that black women are responsible for much of the success of our community. But I also believe that coming from a single-parent home disadvantages a child from the outset, and it takes a Herculean effort to overcome that.

shani-o said...

And YR- regarding that article, I'm gonna have to post about it, because I keep hearing this. Thanks for the link. Tell me what YOU think about it.

Ashley A. said...

Amen to this article. I believe that a man and a woman each have certain innate, God-given qualities that complement each other as they raise their children. Both are essential in raising a child and a committed, loving relationship between them benefits the child in so many ways.

As someone once said, "One of the most important things a father can do for his children is to love their mother."

Raising children is hard enough without having to add the worry that your partner in the endeavor could leave you at any time.

Having said all of that, single parents who give their all to make up the difference for their children are heroes and certainly worthy of our admiration.

OK, I'm off the soapbox. :) I love your new posts Shani.