My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.shanio.com and update your bookmarks.

5.16.2008

I've been in the gym the last three days. I joined a really fancy gym after discovering that they waive the $300 registration fee for people who work where I work. And by "fancy," I mean, they have marble tile in the bathrooms, a spa, a cafe, and a dry cleaning service. All of this leads me to believe the reason I didn't join at NYSC was because it just didn't appeal to my siddidy sensibilities. My gym is light and airy and open, and there are three levels, and a pool, and I could go on and on ... but the really incredible thing is what I've discovered in the last three days. I am a gym person. I thought I wasn't. The idea of deskjockeys spinning and running in place just seems so inorganic. I used to think there was no soul to exercising indoors. But when it's just you and the treadmill, or the bicep curl machine (I'm really into lifting heavy stuff), there's a certain zen. I think people mistreat their bodies because they don't pay attention to them. We take our bodies for granted, because they're the one thing in the world that won't desert us, but we neglect them. I'm done neglecting mine. I feel good about myself physically for the first time in ages. Everything I do is something that will keep my soul bolted to my body a just little bit longer. I went to spinning class this morning at 6. Ridiculously early, but I was super-excited about my first time. It didn't disappoint. Although my main goal for the session was to not fall off the bike and to pedal the entire 45 minutes, I did keep up (somewhat) with the rest of the class during the interval training. That rocked. When I was done, I felt a huge sense of accomplishment. There's a possibility that all of this is the honeymoon period, but I think between exploring all my gym has to offer, and watching the changes to my physique, I'll keep it up. Who else (besides Jameil and Lauren) goes to the gym? Who wants to? Horror stories?? _____ Listening to: Cake: "Satan Is My Motor" The Roots: "Water" Jamie Cullum: "You And The Night And The Music" Lil Boosie: "Wipe Me Down" The Streets: "Same Old Thing"

11 new thought(s):

The Breaking Point said...

I go to the gym pretty regularly. It gets discouraging when I plateau but some of that is added muscle. The thing I'm dealing with now is overcoming my germophobia. There's way too much coughing, sweating and snotting for me to feel comfortable. Or maybe it's the type of people who are doing the coughing, sweating and snotting that bothers me.

Anonymous said...

Gotta love a black women who wont let her hair prevent her from working out. Do your gym thing boo!

Yellow Rebel said...

I need to hit the gym again. I knew after graduating, things wouldn't be the same, given that I wouldn't have easy access to a weight room.

I see you got Boosie on your playlist. I'm glad someone knows what's good lol. I gather that's your joint after your all sweaty from the workout.

Btw you may enjoy "Put On" by Young Jeezy & Kanye

Jameil said...

i love the gym! i need a siddity upgrade, too! lol. you know my horror stories. just do a search for gym-- mostly stalkers and nekkid old ladies. *shudder*

the joy said...

I would like to go to a gym, if only to take a swim class and spinning. I figure the things I enjoyed as a kid could keep me in shape today... But I don't have time.


I haven't heard that cake song in YEARS... Now I think I must YouTube.

shani-o said...

LH- I'm not a germaphobe by any stretch of the imagination. It's really difficult to gross me out. But I am a proponent of common courtesy, and as such, I make it a point to assume everyone else is, like you, a germaphobe (so I wipe everything off, and don't go out when I'm ill.)

Anon- I refuse to be a black woman who is a slave to her (oh-so-fly) hair. That deserves a post in and of itself. Although I did get a good tip from Tia Williams' blog - the little terrycloth headbands keep your roots straight while you sweat!

YR- "Wipe Me Down" is so ridiculous, and I adore it. It really gets me pumped, lol. Thanks for the rec. I need to finetune my gym playlist.

Jam- Yeah, you are the queen of gym stories, lol. And yes, let's upgrade the gym, it makes it so much more appealing!

Joy- You DO have time! If you have 3 hours of free time a week, you have time! Gooooooo! (And that Cake song is the business, right??)

G.D. said...

I'm glad you like it.

I'm in the gym 6 days a week now, and i have to make a recommendation: if you can afford a trainer, get one.

We get it in three days a week, and the other three days a week on my own. My solo days are so much more effective because my days with the trainer are brutal; what was hard before is cake now (or, at least, doable).

And I'm glad you liked the spin class.

(get on my level.)

Unknown said...

When I was going to the gym, I loved it...it was very relaxing and I felt sooo good. I need to start going back...I'm thinking of testing out few places. There is this WONDERFULLY FANCY gym not far from were I live that my ex works at...but it is a little to expensive for my budget right now...lol

Landis said...

On a random tip, Jamie Cullum did a cover of Pharell's "Frontin'." It's pretty cool. You might like it. That is all.

GreatWhyte said...

I'm sorry **shaking my head furiously to clear my hearing** Did you say THREE HUNDRED DOLLARS for a registration fee?????

shani-o said...

Demby- is that a challahhhnge???

Miss B- I just tell myself that if I'm spending time at the gym, I'll be spending less money doing other stuff, so it all balances out...

Landis- I like that cover ALMOST as much as I like his cover of Radiohead's "High and Dry." Jamie Cullum is a talented fella.

X- LOL, yeah. There's no way I would have joined if I had to pay that. However, it's definitely worth it... every time I go, I wander around and discover more and more fancy little touches that make it clear this is a luxury spa/gym.