My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.shanio.com and update your bookmarks.

6.25.2008

I big chopped tonight. Well, technically, my dad did it. But it's been done. Before (this was at my birthday back in March, the last time I had a relaxer.): After: How it happened: I was driving home from Hayward with my mom, and I couldn't stop touching my roots, which have grown steadily. I decided I wanted to see them. Me: I think I'm gonna do it tonight. Cut off my hair. Mom: What? Why? Like a man? You'll look masculine. Me: I'm too pretty to look masculine. Mom: I wouldn't do it. Me: But... you had an afro for 6 years when you were in your 20s. Mom: I know. But I like your hair the way it is now. Those who know me know I like to be contrary, so that settled it. When we got home, it was time to recruit my dad to do the cutting. That went like this. Me: Are you ready?! Dad: For what? Me: To cut my hair. Dad: Sure. Gimme five minutes. About half an hour later, we were done. One of our classic family stories (you know, the kind you know by heart, even though you were too little to remember it happening) is the time my mom went to Jamaica, and my dad and I went to Virginia to see his family when I was two. He couldn't manage my hair, so he cut it short like a little boy's. Needless to say, Mom was upset. Tonight had a certain ... symmetry. I'm too full of thoughts right now to tell you exactly how I'm feeling, but maybe I'll have a better handle on it later. I will say that I like it.

16 new thought(s):

Yellow Rebel said...

next you should get a gumby

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Isn't it a great feeling? I have done it numerous of times and considering doing it again 'cause I am beyond through with my length.

La said...

**GASPGASPGASP!!!!**


I EFFING LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-)

Jon said...

Somewhere in the corporate world, a power suit got its wings!

Loves it. :)

Jameil said...

i gasped! get it chop chop! yay!!! don't you feel super free!? oh man i'm tempted to chop it all off again just to be contrarian, too!!! lolol.

the joy said...

1. I love it. Your face is too strong for you to look manly with a short cut. I think its adorable and it'll be a lot easier for you to manage it as it grows. Stick with it and love it and work it and call me if you need cute styles that fit our type of face.

2 why does that look lika a paparazzi pic on top? Who took that picture? Tmz?

3 look at you starting beef between your parents.

glory said...

it looks cute! i'm inspired...

Unknown said...

WOW!!! So drastic...but SOOO CUTE!!!

I love it!!!

Adei von K said...

AWWWWWWWWWWWW! I LOVE IT!!!

Moms always want their girls to have hair.

the first time i shed my tresses, my dad did it and was geeked.
mom didn't speak to me that weekend.

Anonymous said...

;-)


---G.D.

brotherkomrade said...

gorgeous!

Sixela said...

You are so brave good for you. Stop the lyes. Although i cant say much because i still press...Love you and enjoy your hair.

Ashley A. said...

You look great!! I love it. I wish I could do that and look even half as good as you.

shani-o said...

YR- To the corner! You are SO on time-out.

moody gemini- it's pretty exciting. I'm a long-hair girl at heart, but the short thing is really growing on me.

wife- thanks, honey!!! :-)

Juan- I do what I can, lol. Thanks dear.

Jam- Free is definitely the word. It's indescribable.

shani-o said...

Yoj- 1. I think a short cut would suit anyone's face... it really brings out the features. 2. I think my BFF took that picture of me... I had dropped something, and was looking for it when she snapped. 3. My parents have been beefing since before I was born, lol.

Glory- thanks! It's just hair, you know?

Miss B- thanks so much, soror! (I see you in the Also Known As Barack the Vote shirt!!)

Adei- My mom came around after about three days. Tonight, she was like (grudgingly) "it IS cute."

Demby- Back at ya, cutie.

Brother Komrade- thank you!!

Lex- thanks dear! I am definitely loving it.

Ash- thanks for the compliment, but I've always loved your hair on you!