My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.shanio.com and update your bookmarks.

7.09.2008

I'm heading to DC on Saturday for Alpha Kappa Alpha's Centennial Boule. First off, Boule is always a huge event (it only happens every other year) and on top of that, this is our hundredth year, so... you get the picture. And since the Centennial Boule will be my very first one, I'm super-excited. Also, I haven't been back to DC since October for Howard Homecoming. In other words, I've been bouncing all week. Numbers vary, but there are something like 20,000 members of the org who are registered for the conference, plus innumerable unregistered members... and that number doesn't include our fans. Many greek men I know who live on the Eastern seaboard will be making their way to DC for as my Sigma co-worker put it: "AKA heaven!" And, um, we have a Barbie doll. It was announced earlier this year, but the pics have just surfaced. I love her features, though I wish she were a little darker (so she could be representative of more women in the sorority, while avoiding the brown paper bag stereotype), but eh... it's one of those things where you're damned if you do, damned if you don't. Isn't she purty? [Photo courtesy the Chicago Sun-Times] The other thing I love: her dress is actually in our colors, SALMON pink and APPLE green (not magenta and forest green, not hot pink and kelly green).

7 new thought(s):

Jameil said...

she is pretty! i'm sure all the super light girls like her complexion just fine. lol. are you gonna meet 1969? i know it's hater of me but I HOPE NOT!!

the joy said...

Are you gonna buy one and then put it on your mantel nrfb? Lol. But you know there's only 3 shades of black Barbie, right? She's mid range.

La said...

ooh she IS pretty!

Pictures please.

CNEL said...

Oh how I should have gone to a school where I could have enjoyed the experience of Greek life, damn LoCo.

Unknown said...

We have to hook up if possible Shani-O. Email me at bklynaka10@yahoo.com

-1969

Jameil is a hater :)

Jameil said...

I SURE AM!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOO!!!

silversoror1 said...

I purchased Centennial Barbie last week at our amazing Boule. Barbie is a beautiful carmel color, not too light or too dark; I'm sure designed this way in an attempt to make us all happy which, unfortunately, is impossible. Her features are clearly that of a black woman.
Let's celebrate the fact that as we are the first African-American sorority, we are again the first to have doll designed in our image and to honor us, the beautiful women of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.