My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.shanio.com and update your bookmarks.

7.28.2008

This white lady in Arkansas goes in to the county office pick up her new license plate. It has three random letters on the end. N G R. She's immediately like, "I'm not putting that on my car!" The clerk is like, "huh?" Then, "oh." Consequently, AK has decided to stop releasing the series of plates with NGR on them. The video is hilarious, because ABC6 never really says what the three letters are supposed to represent. And then they interview what they call "some who you might think would be offended" (e.g. black people). The brothers interviewed had the same reaction I did: "it's nothin'." Oh, and the title of the story is "'Racist' License Plate Stirring Controversy," although race or racism is never explicitly mentioned by anyone. Oh, TV news. I mean, really. Come on, folk. It's three letters. I think this kind of refutes the point that some people try to make. Black people don't go looking for racism. Something that had a white lady all in a tizzy went unnoticed by the court — and knowing how black folks like them good gov'ment jobs, I'm willing to bet the clerk she spoke to was black. And while it's nice that she's so concerned about appearing racist (or maybe appearing to be a black person? I didn't really get what she was upset about), there are more important things to worry about... like why those brothers were chillin' in a parking lot in the middle of the day. Can we get them a job? Black joblessness is close to 10 percent, double that of whites. Let's move on that. Anyway, what about you? Did you see the three letters and immediately see the n-word? Am I wrong? Maybe Nas should've named his album NGR... The title is (c) Adei: "See, that's the difference between blacks and white. White people are always worried about the wrong thing, all in stuff that don't pertain to them! With black people, as long as its not hurting anyone (see: me) I ain't got NOTHIN to do with it!"

6 new thought(s):

La said...

I go looking for racism everywhere and I totally missed that, lol

Jameil said...

actually i only knew b/c i saw it was from the office. but that made me know immediately. hahahaa. otherwise i wouldn't have known.

Jameil said...

allow me to add... YOU NGR!!!!

shani-o said...

Wife- lol, yeah.

Jam- to the corner with you! lol. and yeah, I wouldn't have known without the context.

LH- I do believe it sincerely. You don't have to go looking for it for it to find you continually.

the joy said...

Ha! What? I wanna know who called the news. She was like "I'm SO not racist and I want everyone to know!"

Just by virtue of the title, I knew the lettering on the plate was an issue. But um, did we really have to change laws? Boo...

The Breaking Point said...

Encountering racism and looking for it aren't mutually exclusive.