My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.shanio.com and update your bookmarks.

7.30.2008

I think I've mentioned this before, but in case you didn't know, my mother is Jamaican. Her ex-husband was a prominent member of the People's National Party (PNP), and that's the political party my mother identified with when I was a kid. The other party is the Jamaican Labour Party (JLP), but none of our Jamaican family or friends were JLPers, so I tended to wave the PNP flag, even though I didn't know anything about its politics (and still don't). Today, I was changing my Facebook political views from 'conservative' to something more clever but equally ambiguous, and I noticed the form has an auto-fill feature (if you type the letter 'D' then 'Democratic National Party' appears. I typed the PNP just for fun, and it came up. I decided to check out the website, and had a look at Portia, Jamaica's first female PM (and current opposition leader). Like HRC, Portia Simpson-Miller just goes by Portia. She was defeated for reelection by intermittent JLPer Bruce Golding (who, incidentally, is called Bruce. Jamaicans don't seem to stand on ceremony). ANYWAY. The best part about the PNP site is the music. Three seconds into my visit, I was nodding my head to the current PNP theme, "Full Speed Ahead." I share it with you now. Full Speed Ahead There's a full CD worth of songs on the site. Some of my other favorites... When PNP Come To Your Town And... Woman A Go Run Dis Country (Remix) (Note: I love that they remixed the song.) Don't you think this is just what the DNC needs to put them over the top? Some great propaganda songs about Barack? Except for "Yes We Can," the music about the party has been unrelentingly lame. I think we should take a cue from Jamaicans and start demanding better music. Wouldn't you rather listen to this... Portia Story (Mi Get The Thing Dem) ...than U2's 'Beautiful Day'? Again?

2 new thought(s):

Jameil said...

like obama to wayne's a milli? A.P.T.! lol.

the joy said...

Do you think they have an official dance too? "cast de vote, cast de vote!" I would love to see that, lol.

I'm sure wyclef is on that Barack songwriting tip right nowo just you watch.