My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.shanio.com and update your bookmarks.

9.18.2008

This is how I feel when people come toward my hair with their hands.

6 new thought(s):

Lee said...

I have yet to figure out why people think that the laws of personal space bend to accommodate their curiosity about curly hair. I'm starting to think that every time someone touches my hair I'm gonna paw one of their breasts, or reach for their crotch. Maybe then they'll get the message.

Anonymous said...

I have yet to figure out why people think that the laws of personal space bend to accommodate their curiosity about curly hair. I'm starting to think that every time someone touches my hair I'm gonna paw one of their breasts, or reach for their crotch. Maybe then they'll get the message.

Unknown said...

I have no idea why folks always want to put their hands in my hair. Since my hair is really thick it's often wet in places even late into the day. So it's even more gross because their dirty hands are in my wet hair.

the joy said...

oooh get it girl!!!! i immediately frown when a person touches my hair. i feel sampsonesque about my fro, and for a person to touch it without permission takes away my energy. its just hair though people! its not an oddity! you dont HAVE to touch it. its soft as yours hopefully is.

The Breaking Point said...

I don't get that, either. It's kinda rude and definitely presumptuous to just walk up to someone and touch her hair.

Perhaps it's because I'm familiar with black phenotypes, but I don't see what's so fascinating about curly/kinky/nappy hair. Even if I did, the whole touching/invading personal space thing is never a good look--unless asked to do so.

shani-o said...

UE- Seriously. It IS that personal. If I *know* you, and we're close, then I don't mind a gentle touching, but don't start rubbing my head like I'm a damn lawn jockey.

littletortilla- so true. The other day, a coworker gave me a hug and he touched the back of my head (I'm short) before I could tell him it was still wet. :-/

Joy- I haven't gotten to the sampson part of the program, lol, but I feel ya. And don't you love how people are always shocked, SHOCKED, that it's soft?

LH- I think the reason why some people, blacks included, feel it's ok to see with their hands is because 3/4 of black American women relax their hair, so depending on where you live, it IS an oddity. Maybe not so much in ATL or Chicago or NYC, but in Central New Jersey? It certainly isn't common. Honestly, the only person whose hands I'd want to be in my hair regularly is an SO.